Global Language Center is seeking multiple Language Instructors (SOFTS)for a United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) customer.
GLC is looking for Foreign Language Instructors that shall meet all qualification, education, and experience levels and be effective using communicative, learner-centered, and task-based LREC teaching strategies for adult learners. This includes but is not limited to, qualification or competence in the following areas: classroom management, developing lesson plans, integrating vocabulary-building applications into curriculum, and use of supplemental materials. They shall be familiar with the ILR Proficiency Levels and how it relates to proficiency-based and task-based instruction, OPI, and DLPT, and military topics and terminology. At a minimum, Language Instructors shall be familiar with and capable of instructing utilizing the military content contained in the USSOCOM 200 Hour Familiarization courseware. Language Instructors shall be qualified on use of PC-based computers, Windows Explorer (or other browser software), MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), installing and enabling foreign fonts, and common media players (e.g. Windows Media Player, Real Player, common PC driven projectors, SMART Boards, etc.) as it relates to modern LREC instruction.
The candidate shall perform the following tasks:
- Provide instruction in listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills, as well as regional and culture subjects, using modern communicative methodology.
- Able to integrate technology in the classroom and in homework assignments employing classroom or on-site resources such as Smart Boards, BlackBoard, Quizlet, and SharePoint, the Internet, iPads, Tablet PCs, or other “state of the art” classroom or on-site devices provided by the Government.
- Able to develop learning materials as required.
- Able to employ computer skills to organize data and teaching materials.
- Have experience as Assistant instructors providing instruction via the SOFTS platform and have completed a minimum of 80 hours documented training in online language teaching.
Must have a target language proficiency of the following:
- Possess general professional proficiency (a language rating of ILR level 2+ or ACTFL Advanced-High) or higher in the specified foreign language.
- Proficiency shall be demonstrated by one of the following:
- Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) or 2-skill OPI from the DLIFLC.
- An interview certified by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL).
- Defense Language Proficiency Test
- Completed formal study of the English Language and achieved the score indicated on any of the below:
- At least ILR level 2 as measured by DoD test.
- A score of 553 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) PBT, or TOEFL iBT score as follows: 83 minimum overall and at least a 20 each in Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing.
- A score of no less than 85 on the English Comprehension Level (ECL) test.
- At least a proficiency level 2 or Advanced-Low (ACTFL) on an OPI.
Clearance: May be required to obtain and maintain a Secret or Top Secret Clearance
Note to Applicants
ACTFL Language Proficiency Testing is required. Many candidates have taken this certification in the past and should include scores (if known) with their resume submission. (It is not required before applying and may be completed while on the job.
If desired, candidates can schedule testing at www.languagetesting.com to perform ACTFL OPI/ILR/DLPT for both English and Target Language of instruction to include in the application.